Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Glute work, Crepes, and Sugar coated wheat pillows

Presidents Day was an absolute breath of fresh air this year. One of the benefits of working for a University is getting all those little holidays off work. I felt so bad for Layne that he didn't get to enjoy the day with me! After a nice long sleep in, I went and got my massage that Layne got me for V-day. My therapist James, a strapping Alaskan lad fresh out of massage therapy school worked me over for 50 minutes. I had only a few complaints. 1) A good massage therapist shouldn't talk. James was very nice, but he chattered on an on and asked a lot of questions that required a response. When I'm lying on that table with my face in a hole, I don't want to chat, I want to relax and listen to the Asian massage mix tape playing in the background. It's ok for a hairdresser, but not a massage therapist. 2) If you're going to talk, don't talk about the body of the person you're working on, even if it's to compliment them. It's just weird.
James: (while kneading my butt like dough)
"You have a very good musculature, it rolls very nicely"
First of all, what does that even mean? Second, how does one respond to such a comment? Third, I don't want to hear the word "rolls" unless I'm being offered one, ESPECIALLY not while my clothes are sitting on a chair in the corner. James also informed me that I have a very straight spine and a nice bone structure. Uh, thanks? Is that how guys who are massage therapists pick up girls in bars? "Check out the musculature on THAT girl!" "Hey why don't you come over to my place later and we can compare spine curvatures." 3) A good therapist shouldn't have to be told more than twice that the pressure is too hard. I finally gave up, but I'm paying for it now. I think he may have bruised my left kidney. On a positive note, he opened my eyes to glute work! I had never really had it done before, and while uncomfortable at first, it was heaven!! If you've never had your glutes worked before, may I suggest opening your mind to the idea. Over 20 muscles join in that area so it's worth a little awkwardness to have done!! He also did a fabulous job on my neck and head.

That evening Layne and Kim and I went to dinner at this great little coffee house called The Greenhouse Effect. It's akin to Coffee Talk down by the Mesa temple if you've ever been. It was just a little hole in the wall with hardly anywhere to sit, where the granola people, aspiring musicians, poets and the intellectuals gather to discuss Immanuel Kant or reincarnation. So why did we go? Here's today's confession: I, Kelly Nelson, am hopelessly addicted to crepes. Not just any crepes mind you, good crepes! In the U.S. a good creperie is hard to find! This place specializes in all kinds of crepes, so naturally I was like a Dingo in a maternity ward there. I think I'm ready to make my voice heard about making Cesar Chavez Day an official national holiday so I can have another excuse to eat crepes. You can sign the petition here.

Speaking of food, yesterday I overheard a VERY amusing conversation between 2 co-workers (one German and one Indian --for anonymity's sake). The German had mentioned that his favorite cereal in the U.S. was Frosted Mini Wheats. The Indian hadn't heard of this cereal and a serious conversation ensued in which the German tried to explain the concept of Frosted Mini Wheats, beginning with a definition of the word "Frosted". It was completely comical. It ended (and the point at which I finally laughed out loud) with the German defining Frosted Mini Wheats as "sugar coated wheat pillows". Who doesn't love sugar coated wheat pillows? Needless to say I will never think of them the same way again.

8 comments:

Arian said...

K, I don't actually laugh out loud very often but your discussion of your rolls and the frosted wheat pillows both got a good loud chortle out of me. Thanks for the laugh! I don't think I'll ever think of mini wheats or rolls the same way either.

CJB said...

My fave was the "dingo in a maternity ward." How do you come up with these things?! Glad the massage was nice minus chatty-perv. What a perfect V-day gift.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you write for a newspaper or magazine?? You got mad skillz girl! ( I stole that from Randy Jackson!) I LOVE IT! I also love the massage, hate the chatter, and like a good bum rub... HURRAH!

The Whatcott Fam said...

I agree with Ashley...you should become a writer. You just have a way with words...I'm almost always laughing out loud when I read your posts. Thanks for making my day!

laurice. said...

Seriously you should have told the manager that he wouldn't shut up! My teacher in Estitician school would have killed any of us if we were talking while doing a facial and I am sure the same rule goes with a massage! I love mini wheat’s also and still never looked at them like that I am sure I will never see them the same again!

Nedra Tietjen said...

K-Lo, you need to be sure your M.T. knows your musculature is insured and he better handle it with care... :)

Stephen + Lauren Reber said...

Sign me up for that petition. I'd take an extra day for crepes and a massage (minus the Alaskan chatterbox) anyday.

Taylor said...

Some stranger had his paws on your butt? And you pay for that?

I don't even let my very good friends touch my tush, let alone strangers! I guess massages just aren't my thing...if I could get a massage without someone touching me, I think I might try it. ;-)