This morning started out with a huge snow storm that prevented me from getting to work. After about an hour of waiting, it started to clear up in the valley, but not up by the U., so I decided to take the opportunity to take the Trax downtown and attend President Hinckley's viewing at the conference center along with 21,000 others during the course of the day. I had planned to go this afternoon at lunch, or right after work, but had I waited, I'd have ended up in a line of thousands, which you can see a news clip of here. As it was, it took me about half an hour to get through the existing line which probably had a thousand in it, but it was the best time I could have possibly spent today, or any day for that matter. 
The line took us through the main hall of the conference center, up the escalators to the 3rd floor and into the hall of the prophets. There was such reverence there. Even the small children and babies were quiet and reflective as we waited to enter the room. After walking past the busts of previous prophets and the paintings of the 12 apostles and the 1st presidency, I got my first glimpse of the casket. Seeing it prompted a knee jerk reaction and I started getting a little misty eyed. Every time I've been to a viewing, it's been for a beloved family member, the last of which was my grandpa, so those feelings came flooding back to me as I approached. But when I saw him lying there in his temple clothes with a sweet expression on his face, all the sadness left and was replaced with gratitude and peace. As I took a few moments to gaze, I could hear his voice in my mind repeating the words, "...the time has come to stand a little taller, to lift your eyes and stretch your mind to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This is a season to be strong...to move forward without hesitation...to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow...". Inspired words. There was a great deal more that I felt during my "visit with the prophet" today, but suffice it to say that I've had only a few "thin veil" experiences in my life, and this was definitely one of them. My sister attended the day before and she can attest to the same feeling. I couldn't post this video clip on my blog, but I suggest watching it here It's a news clip of the viewing where you can see what it looked like. By the time I made it out, there were probably 2,000 more people outside the conference center in the freezing cold line. However, after that experience, I'm certain I would have waited all day to be able to see him, feel what was there, and say thank you.
Friday, February 1, 2008
A Day Unlike Any Other
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
11:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
For those of us not able to attend, I am really grateful for your thoughts. Thanks Kelly
I ditto Ashley's comment. What is the link to the viewing?
Wow I can only imagine, I felt the spirit strong as I read- Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Kelly. That was really neat to read.
I am so excited for you that you got that experience. There are so many people around the world who couldn't go but I felt like I was there while reading about your experience. Thank you.
What a sweet post. I love how you wrote that up. And how lucky for you to be a part of it.
that is really cool that you got to be there, very nicely put, thank you for the post
Post a Comment