Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Grand Finale

After 4 long months and a lot of work and anxiety, my audition process is finally over, and I couldn't be more glad (about it being over). Last night, I faced one of the most terrifying scenes I've ever faced (pictured above) and I'm proud to say that I didn't pass out, I didn't throw up, and I walked out of that room under my own power! I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, that beginning earlier that day, I started to get one of those "perhaps it's not meant to be right now" feelings. Those feelings were reinforced multiple times as my audition went on. First was my interview with the choir president. He was very kind, but very direct in telling me how hesitant the choir is to bring in "younger" members. There were several reasons, but he left me with the overall impression that I ought not be discouraged if I'm not accepted on my first try. Apparently it's more of a rare occasion to get in on try one. He expressed that coming back a second time is often all it takes to prove one's commitment level. The audition itself was terrifying, but Craig and Mack were very nice. Overall, there were parts of the audition that went better than I could have ever hoped, and other parts (difficult sight reading) that didn't go as well as I would have liked, but I am at peace with whatever the outcome (though I feel quite certain that it will be to try again). I'll know for sure in 2 weeks, but between those of us who passed the test this round, and others who were coming back for a 2nd or 3rd try, there were over 100 people who participated in the live audition. My chances are slim, but I'm very pleased with my rookie attempt and want to express appreciation for all the support and encouragement from all my family and friends, especially from Layne, my number one cheerleader. I don't know how I got so lucky in marriage, but I'm not going to ask questions. :) Thanks everybody! I hope I haven't let you down!

3 comments:

CJB said...

Way to go! I am so impressed you made it this far. If you feel they are discriminating against you for age, maybe you can be like Creed and dye your hair. A lovely gray with hints of white should do the trick!

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

I didn't even think of that! :) Our friend Chris Hardy put it well: "You have to be at least this tall to ride the roller coaster". I'll get my chance.

The Stanford Bunch said...

Kelly, I think it's so awesome that you tried out, that takes a TON of courage! I would never even be able to try! Good job for sticking with the choir thing! I think I whimped out back in junior high when Mr. "Chili hot temper"/"child hater" yelled at us for talking during choir class!!! HAHAHA!!!