Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Did You Know...

Some useless but interesting factoids to either impress or annoy your family and friends. This post is dedicated to Ashley Rogers, who brought to my attention that a perfect Saguaro cactus has no arms.

"Almost" is the longest word in the English language with the letters in alphabetical order.

It's impossible to kill yourself by holding your breath.

On average, right handed people live 9 years longer than left handed people.

The Elephant is the only mammal that can't jump.

Like finger prints, everyone has a different tongue print.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men. (Personal note: I wonder if this statistic was taken before or after the invention of makeup)

The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.

Hitler was a vegetarian.

The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds.

On average, more people fear spiders than they do death.

Americans eat an avg. of 18 acres of pizza per day.

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

The house fly hums in the middle octave key of F.

If you passed gas consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.

The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

The electric chair was invented by a Dentist.

Now don't you feel smarter?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about these...the last one I got said it was humanly impossible to lick your own elbow (I will pause here while you try it!) but Dave can do it!

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

I can't even get in the vicinity of my elbow with my tongue, so I'd love to see Dave do this! And yes, I was in the office when I tried it. :)