
The big free lunch that the Bioengineering Dept. hosted today reminded me of something funny from a few months ago that I had forgotten about. Our group periodically goes out to lunch to celebrate someone completing their PhD thesis defense, or to say goodbye to someone who is moving back to Germany or India or wherever. Well, a few months ago we went out to lunch and after being seated, our waiter (a short, stout, 40-something man) approached and said, "Hi, I'm odd and I'll be your waiter today. Can I start you off with some drinks?" Naturally we had all stopped paying attention after the "I'm odd" part. A co-worker asked, "Is that really your name?" He said that indeed it was his real name and pointed to his name tag which clearly read "Odd". Upon further inquiry, Odd admitted that his name was the simple result of being a child of crazy parents in the 60's. His fraternal twin was also given an "odd" name, but since she was born on an even minute as opposed to her brother, she was given the name "Even". Wow. At least Even could go by Eve or something similar, but Odd? Is there ANYTHING short for Odd? Wouldn't you change your name at some point? It's like those kids who never quite realize that there is a correlation between being beaten up every day and wearing a Panama hat to school. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have/name children.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
The "Odd" Man Out
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
12:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
WoW- That's unfortunate!
He could always go by O. D. I am not sure which would be worse? Gotta love the 70's.
What a joke! Really you should be required to pass a test before becoming a parent!
Now THERE'S the name we've been looking for! I knew it would just jump out at us. :)
No way! What hippies! My name is also a hippy name but one that I actually love! =)
I should show this to Natalie so that she'll understand my names really aren't so bad. What's not to like about Virgil (we'd call him Virg), Ulysses (we'd call him Uly), or Micheal Faraday (we're call him nanoFarad, then microFarad, then miliFarad, and then just plain Farad). Is that last one funny to you yet? I'm not sure if you've been nerdified sufficiently.
Our bus driver who took us to the courthouse today had his name plate up and it said "Elmo." Sure made me want to tickle him!
I bet in this day and age, he could sue his parents for wrongfully subjecting him to torment at a young, impressionable age :)
Post a Comment