Monday, April 7, 2008

MUST See TV

I LOVE conference weekend! It's so nice to have a reason just to stay at home on Saturday and to have a Sunday with no presidency meetings or firesides to attend. The best part about conference weekend, is of course, conference itself, and this weekend was no exception! I thoroughly enjoyed all the talks and music etc. It's also quite a different experience being in Utah and getting conference on local channels in HD! Every liver spot, crow's foot, wrinkle, laugh line, bald spot and set of dentures is SO much clearer! ;) It's tough to pick a fav, but I might have to go with Elder Oaks' talk Saturday afternoon on Testimony. He is an amazing teacher! I just loved it. BTW don't you just love this picture my dad sent me of my brothers during conference? It reminded me that watching conference is the same wherever you are. :) It still saddens me that so many members view conference as optional entertainment (especially the Saturday sessions). I'm so grateful for a stake president who taught me at a young age that there is nothing more important, nowhere I should rather be and nothing I should rather be doing than listening to the words of the prophets and apostles. I took very seriously his challenge to never miss a single session of conference (including RS general broadcasts) for the rest of my life. So far so good!

An interesting topic of conversation came up when someone I work with confessed that he carries a concealed weapon on campus. In Sept. of 2006, the Utah supreme court ruled that the University's gun ban on campus was in violation of the state's law to carry concealed weapons with a permit. This guy says that after the Virginia Tech shooting, he decided that he doesn't want to become a victim. Well, neither do I, but I'm not carrying a glock in my purse. Speaking as one who has been personally victimized in recent years by a psycho with a gun, I'm not quite sure how this makes me feel. While this person seems to be a mentally stable individual, it makes me wonder how many others of the 50,000 students and employees around me are picking out which gun goes best with their belt on a daily basis. Am I going to be standing in the sandwich line at the student union one day and pull out my cell phone or MP3 player and get shot because someone mistakes my electronic device for a gun? I think this nation is full of some pretty paranoid people, and I'm not sure that putting guns in everyone's hands is the answer to school shootings and terrorism. It's easy enough to get a gun permit in Utah that there are plenty of people packing heat who probably can't even pack a lunch! Any thoughts?

10 comments:

Nedra Tietjen said...

Amen on conference! I am in absolute agreement with you on the gun issue. There is no reason to have a gun except to shoot a person. Your co-worker is obviously not going to be quietly stalking any wild animals on campus. To me the fact that someone carries a gun is in and of itself premeditated harm to another person. You know the only thing to do with that weapon is to harm another human being. You cannot fight violence with violence, you can only increase it...

CJB said...

I sent you an email of a handy little product you can pick up. Its a gun-shaped hair dryer. I think its a nice alternative to the real thing. Loved the sleeping brothers pic!

CJB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My bro-in-law got a gun for UVSC for the same reason! I guess I don't feel quite the same way as NEdra... but I'm not sure how I feel...I do know Dave is not allowed to have one in the house! (My bro-in-law is an X-marine, and he passed the shooting test with the highest score they had ever had, and he did it with his opposite hand)

laurice. said...

I totally agree about conference....love it! About the gun issue I really don't know how I feel...living in Mexico where it's against the law to carry one but all the drug lords do and kill people all the time and get away with it makes me feel like I would like to have one in my car when traveling to my mom's and elsewhere. The drug lords down here are having turf wars right now….not in our town but in the surrounding towns and they have taken over the police stations and the government does nothing because they get killed if they do. People have been killed everyday for the last month and it’s crazy! Most of the killed were drug dealers but often innocent bystanders have been killed also. Luckily, Heavenly Father watches out for all of us and none of us have been in danger however, it makes me grateful that in the USA you have the right to protect yourself.

The Stanford Bunch said...

so what's this about a psycho with a gun??? Do tell me that story!

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Didn't I tell you about getting mugged on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro? It was terrifying. This psycho with a gun forced us onto the sand, robbed us and threatened to kill us. Not one of the highlights of my life.

DK said...

Kelly, I personally keep a gun in the house because I feel safer with it around. I also plan on getting my concealed weapons license exactly for that reason... you never know who might have one...and I'm not afraid to shoot a person in self defense. This world is becoming a crazy place and we need to protect ourselves. It's really a very good argument and I believe that the question is... who is carrying the gun, don't fear the gun... fear the person who has it? Why take away that right...from the good people... when you know the bad will get them anyway...look at Mexico??? ~Deena

Anonymous said...

You sure opened a can of worms with this one...

Katie Peterson said...

I love the conference pics of your brothers...looked alot like our house!

About the gun thing...I've had too many kids so my brain can't think right now...but ditto to what Nedra said...and I am dying over Christy's comment!! lol