After my last post, there was a lot of response to the gun issue that got me thinking about it quite a bit. I started out this post by writing out my own conclusions about it, but it turned into a veritable essay (what can I say, I'm my father's daughter) which I didn't see fit subject the casual readers to. I guess writing things down helps me formulate my own thoughts on something better than just thinking about it does. ANYWAY, if for some reason you are curious about my take on the concealed weapons thing you can read it here. *Warning: It's not just a paragraph!!* In short, I think this blow drier that my hilarious friend Christi sent me is the perfect solution to any and all gun control issues! I may have to put this on my wish list for Santa.
Last week I finished another novel by John Irving called 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. Though it took me a very long time to complete, I wouldn't say it's because it was boring. It was a very long book, and I've decided that I don't like reading books that are over 600 pages but only have 5 chapters. I like having concrete places I can stop since I don't get long stretches of time to read. That being said, while the story is a good one, this book truly stands on the strength of it's characters. It chronicles the lives of 2 New England boys from their childhoods in the 1940's through the 60's. The story was intellectually and spiritually challenging and the imagery was very well drawn, but where the rubber meets the road it all comes back to the extremely developed and unique characters. Admittedly I could have done without some of the language as the boys got older, but other than that I think it was a very well written book, in a style that belongs only to John Irving. I'm now about 20 chapters in to a WONDERFUL book called 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel. So far I'm in love with it! I'll keep you posted.
Last night I baked Christi B's chocolate bundt cake for one of my hive's birthdays and it truly changed my life! Thanks for posting the recipe! The second I read it, it was love at first sight. Mmmmmm. There is nothing better than chocolate cake and a Suns victory over the Spurs! The Office coming back on this week couldn't be more exciting either. Now if they could just get rid of Kristy Lee Cook on A.I., I'd be all set!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
9:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Great Post Kelly! I am VERY interested to see what you have to say about gun control. I will be reading the essay. Thanks for the book ideas. I am always looking for a good read. I will be enjoying Christi's life changing cake this evening. I will let you know if I feel any different. :)
Since I can't get the recipe because the blog is private, can you post it? :) I love a good chocolate cake!!!
Oh I feel so honored! I am glad the hair dryer will keep you safe... and dry. And doesn't the cake make your kitchen smell like I'm pretty sure heaven smells? Amen on the Suns beating the DIRTY Spurs last night. Sweet victory! And I'm pretty sure its because I went to Mutual instead of watching the game-- some redemption from Sunday.
I think you should take your thoughts to BYU campus and jump on the soapbox for a while. I'd love that! And I love the hairblower!
Was my earlier comment deleted? Was it inappropriate? Now I am self conscious!
Post a Comment