Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Disclosure, A Date Request & V8

Yesterday was a hectic day for me, starting with a panicked phone call late the night before from my co-worker explaining that she was experiencing a very serious exacerbation of her Multiple Sclerosis, and even if she managed to stay out of the hospital, it would probably mean that she'd be out for quite a while. This of course means a lot more work for me, which began with filling in for her in the morning meeting yesterday, and explaining (at her request) to all the dept. heads and employees about her condition and why she had chosen not to disclose it upon applying for the job. She had told me about it when I was hired, but no one else. It got a big discussion going about disease and disability disclosure in the work place. I didn't realize how many different and strong opinions people have on the topic. She is not a reader of this blog, but I know how difficult MS can be and I wish her well.

After the meeting I got a visit from the janitor I posted about a in February who gave me a purple rabbit for Valentines Day and did a little dance for me with his vacuum. Well, despite the fact that I've told him I'm married, he asked me on a date this Saturday to see Frank Caliendo perform at Kingsbury Hall. If you had been listening really hard, you could've actually heard my skin crawling. Of course he had to do it in front of 10 other people in the office. It was just a tad bit uncomfortable having to turn him down in front of everyone, especially since I could see them all smirking and exchanging glances in my periphery. I'm glad I have being married as an "excuse" because I honestly don't know what I would say otherwise. There is just something about this guy that gives me the willies. I can't quite put my finger on it, but if I could, I'd have to wash it off afterward. Maybe it's the fact that he wears the same John Cena pro wrestling shirt EVERY day. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Speaking of being picky, as I'm sitting here at my desk eating lunch, I feel moved upon to pay tribute to one of my favorite things. V8 %100 Vegetable Juice! Certified by the American Heart Association, 8 oz of this tasty beverage provides one with 2 full servings of veggies! Very few Americans manage to get the recommended amount of veggies into their diets, and this miracle in a can (or bottle) does it for Layne and I every single day! I didn't always love it so, and Layne used to gag at the smell of it, but after years of persevering and convincing him to "choke it down", he LOVES the stuff and probably drinks more than I do! It gives you energy and just makes you feel good. So give it another try America! It's NOT cold tomato soup!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janitor- GROSS!
V-8 - GROSS!

I think Im going to have to read Christi's post about Chocolate cake again to get the "gross" out!

CJB said...

I think you should have gone out with the dude. Frank Caliendo is a comedic genius. Totally worth it. Layne would understand when you come home and tell him all about it. As for the v8, good on ya, but yick!

Kapri said...

yes...gross and gross. I can't believe you drink that stuff. I won't even give it to Rome :)

KRISTIN BELL said...

V8 is the single greatest vegetable filled drink ever made!! I absolutely love it.... I get a lot of crap for liking it too. Glad to know I'm not alone.

laurice. said...

I drink v8 everyday also! It's fabulous... Derrick can't stand it and won't even try but I am now addicted! It's a great way to get your veggies!

Arian said...

K, I am seriously going to look up the V8 peeps and get them to use you for their next ad campaign. You are a walking poster child for the stuff.
P.S. I love the spicy V8. Sooo good!

Jess said...

Love the V8!

Megan said...

If you weren't so dang hot maybe creepy janitor man wouldn't be hitting on you. see it is all your fault!
Does v8splash count? v8 smoothie?