Today is the birthday of my big brother and best friend from the beginning; John Lee Flaherty. It's going to be hard to limit the content of this post. Being the oldest is a hard job and John has been a friend, teacher, mentor, consultant, protector, supporter and role model for me my whole life. Even when we fought as kids, it was usually either because I was jealous of something he had or something he got to do that I couldn't, or because we're both so competitive.
Even though I was a "sister" and not the brother he wanted, he let me tag along and play with him. He was patient (most of the time) with me as I learned how to "play" G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thunder Cats, He-man, Ninja Turtles etc. I have spent my entire life looking up to him, trying to be like him and seeking his approval. To this day, making big decisions is always easier if I've heard John's opinion and especially if I have his stamp of approval. John and I really got close after he returned home from his mission and we attended Mission Bay ward together.
I'm certain that I never would have survived the dating years without my big brother! Not only did he talk me through a lot of hook ups and break ups, but I'm only now starting to realize that in all my dating or "sifting" (as John calls it) I was looking for a man just like him. John has always been smart and I was always jealous of his intellect and his academic excellence. No one was surprised when he became an engineer. In addition to being Mr. Smarty Pants, John has always been athletic, musical (he has a GREAT Baritone voice), and can dance circles around most men I know. He is also VERY funny and witty and it seems like every time we talk I end up laughing hysterically about something.
He just makes everything more fun.
I think John's general approach to life can be summed up by the way he plays hearts: shoot the moon every time! (and he'll beat you that way every time!) John not only won't back down from a challenge, but seems to thrive on it! He's always looking for a new adventure and you're sure to find one if you hang around him long enough. My big brother exemplifies the words of Norman Vincent Peale, "Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow".
Most importantly, he is a great example of faith and resiliance. He has weathered storms and taken more than his share of life's beatings without wavering. I couldn't be prouder that John is my brother, and don't know what on earth I would do without him!
So Happy Birthday John! I love you!!
Note: Ladies, miraculously, this amazing guy is still on the market, so if you think you've got the goods, you may contact me for a pre-date screening. :)
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Happy Birthday John Lee Flaherty!
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
12:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I would have to agree that John is a great guy. I am sure I could not pass the pre-date vetting but would love to take him on in hearts. I too shoot the moon and win every time! :)
Don't forget he is excellent at pre-phone call pushups, and eating the food off other peoples plates at Crackers and Co. You're right, John is a great guy!!!
Aw. That's so cool! Happy birthday from the Hastings John!!!
Happy Birthday John!
You did such a great job on this post, Kell! Happy Birthday to John! And yes, he is a really awesome guy!
Oh, John is so great. Poor guy has had to put up with me since childhood and he is still nice to me. I always loved it when we were in the same elementary classes, because our birthdays were close together. I always felt like since I was older I could boss him around, and I did, I was a jerk. Happy Birthday, John!
(please check my comment on Nedra's blog about her lunchtime adventure, Im finding myself quite humorous at the moment!)
What a lovely tribute to your bro. But is it truly complete without the youtube showing of his break-out video? :) Happy Birthday John!
Wow, that last picture is totally cool. nice air. And I can't believe he's still on the market--he truly is a great guy. What a nice tribute!
John is fabulous! And hey, so is my sister Mary, maybe we could do something about that. Hopefully she never sees this comment or she will kill me, ha ha!
happy bday john! I loved the family picture!
Post a Comment