Monday, November 26, 2007

Be Grateful

It was a banner year for me this Thanksgiving. I roasted my FIRST turkey all by myself! Not only that, but I cooked an entire Thanksgiving smörgåsbord all by myself as well. I was going to take a picture of the turkey right out of the oven, but that only proves that I can put a turkey in the oven. A picture of it's carcass however, proves that it tasted good enough to eat! My father-in-law (Ray the gourmet) has always cooked for us on Thanksgiving, but I thought it was about time I gave the guy a break and do it all myself. It was a LOT of work and took a lot of planning, but it was very satisfying to be able to say I did it!

Everything I read about how to roast turkeys suggested that you cover the breast with tin foil after it's 2/3 done to keep the breast meat juicy and tender. So I cut out tin foil in the shape of a bikini and did this with my turkey. Unfortunately I had to cut into it to see if it was done before taking a picture, but it looked a little like this, minus the pose. It was one SEXY turkey!

The satisfied customers. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, fruit salad, rolls, appetizers, pumpkin pie and ice cream!

Relaxing with Brody after all that cooking (and eating)! This pretty much sums up the rest of the break. A lot of relaxing!

I love the Christmas lights at temple square! We strolled around on Saturday night (as long as we could before freezing to death) and took in the spectacle. It was especially cool after having done a session in the SLC temple that afternoon. That was the first time for all of us to set foot in that temple and it was really special. I was so glad Layne's parents could go with us. It was the perfect thing to do this weekend to remind me of how much I have to be thankful for, especially mi amigo mejor y esposo maravilloso! I can't imagine a life without Layne.

8 comments:

KRISTIN BELL said...

You guys are so stinkin mushy!! I love it... I always get made fun of for being mushy too. I can't help it!! I'm in Love :)
I am super impressed. I was sooo tired after all that cooking and prepping...it seriously is a 4 day ordeal with the planning, buying, prepping, cooking, cleaning up, etc. It was fun though! Wish we could have had you up with us.

Anonymous said...

Is it blasphemy to follow a blog entry on fruit with one of the temple? Just kidding, I love reading your blog and I love when you update it! Hey, We will be in Provo the 1st through the 8th staying at my parents condo-do you guys wanna get together???? SAY YES!!!

laurice. said...

Look at you! So Brave....I am way to chicken to try and make a Turkey...Give me a few more years and mabe it will happen.

Cicily said...

Look at you fancy pants. I can't imagine cooking an entire Thanksgiving dinner by myself, I'm very impressed. I love Salt Lake at Christmas time, it's beautiful and freezing.

The Stanford Bunch said...

Wow! I'm very impressed! Good job! I love cooking for thanksgiving, I think it's a blast! I missed doing everything this year since we went over ot my parents, but I still got to do some! The SLC temple is awesome, isn't it? I'm glad you got to go and I love your blog!

Katie Peterson said...

Go Kelly!! Good job at cooking your first Thanksgiving dinner....makes you really appreciate all the times your mom made it for ya, huh!

CJB said...

I love the sexy turkey. Congrats on the meal and carcass to show how edible it was. Can't wait to see you at Christmas, Julia.

Bert and Benton said...

Kelly I am so impressed! Esp. with the bikini cut outs, nice! I still get away with bring one dish to T-day dinner, I"m not looking forward to the day where I have to do it all. Good work. You and Layne are so cute!