Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A New Year and a Blast from the Past

I can't believe that it's 2008 already! I had to write the date for the first time today at work, and was astounded by how weird it felt to write it. I feel like our lives have been traveling at warp speed when I think back to where we were and what we were doing at this time last year. 2000 miles away in North Carolina, I was beginning my last year at East Carolina U., Layne was neck deep in the his land development business and moving to Utah was merely a hiss and a by word at the time. So much has happened since then, some bad, mostly good, but its the speed with which it has all transpired that is so mind boggling. Every year that we've been married, Layne has had a slogan. Break free in '03, Score in '04, Come alive in '05, In the mix in '06 ('07 is escaping me) and this year it's Make it great in '08. I certainly hope that will be the case. In spite of the many changes that took place last year, this year could be the biggest life changer of all. Only time will tell, but Layne and I both feel it. So here's to living in the moment, remembering the past and enjoying the ride! Happy New Year!


I've been trying little by little to scan old family photos into my computer so I have a permanent record, and I thought in the spirit of new years that I'd share a little blast from my past. I may start posting one of these old pictures a week just for fun. We'll start with one and see how it goes. I don't remember what the date on this was, but it must be in Denver. I think dad was baiting a chipmunk. It's so fun to see pictures of my dad at the age I am now.

7 comments:

Tye & Tara Thompson Family said...

Hi Kelly, Thanks for finding me. It is great to here from you. Every once in a while I run into your parents and get an update. Looks like your doing well

CJB said...

Very inspiring! I think I will make it great in '08 as well! Oh how I heart my Nelsons. Keep the 'ol time photos a comin' and phrases such as "a hiss and a by word." I think I laughed off enough calories to have another handful of peanut m&ms. thanks!

Arian said...

That was a great motivational speech you made for '08. I think we all want to make it great in 2008 just from reading that if nothing else! Happy New Year.

The Whatcott Fam said...

I agree--time is going way too fast- can you believe it was ten years ago that we were in seminary class together at Highland? And you gave everyone in the whole school "Hello my name is Cindy" nametags?? :)

The Stanford Bunch said...

Yeah for 2008!!!! It will be a great year! It is weird to think back what you were doing last year! And to even think what you will be doing next year! Cute picture! Is your dad really your age... weird. Anyway, happy 08 to you guys! Thanks for blogging! =)

Katie Peterson said...

Your dad looks soo much like your brother...too fun! I love how Layne makes up slogans for every year...very creative. Lets all make it great in '08!

Stephen & Lauren Reber said...

Wow! You dad looks just like your brother! I'm hoping to make that my personal slogan as well :)