I can't believe how busy life has been lately. Unfortunately this week is going to be even worse! Layne and I had a lovely anniversary on Wed. He took me to one of our fav. places, Market Street Grill. Its actually where we went last year. We haven't been in a year because it's quite pricey, but mmm, mmm good! On our way to the restaurant I texted my Beehive adviser to wish her a happy anniversary (theirs is the same day as ours) and that I hoped they had a fun evening planned. While we were at dinner she texted me back to inform me that they were spending the evening making babies. Where do I even start with that?! TMI!!! Pardon me while I go poke out my mind's eye.
Layne bought me flowers and an assortment of thoughtful gifts, and bought all the stuff to make me a big breakfast that morning. I felt pampered for sure. We had hoped to go somewhere for our 5th like San Fransisco, but time and money wouldn't allow it this month. We're still planning to go somewhere as soon as our blasted property in N.C. sells. Oh how we pray for that every day!!
Saturday morning I met up with some friends to run through some music that we have to learn for our auditions this week. Layne spent most of the day hitting various new skate parks with his buddy Chad and some guy who goes by the name of "The Catfish". I just thought that was TOO good! Saturday evening my friend Ashley and I went to go see our friend Kiersten perform in her musical play "Pride and Prejudice" at the Scera shell outdoor theater in Orem. I must say she stole the show as an extremely snobby Caroline Bingly! It was a long show but we had a great time watching Kiersten and making fun of some of the other actors. Mrs. Bennett had a voice that could peel the enamel off your teeth! Boyz II Men will be performing at the shell later this month. I may have to put that on the calendar. :)
Sunday was a full day with meetings and such. I had a long talk in my car with one of my YW who got picked up by the cops over the weekend. Its certainly not the first time one of them has come to me in confidence needing a sounding board. One of the hardest parts about this calling is finding a balance between friend and leader. I struggle sometimes knowing what to say when one of my girls comes-a-confessin' like that looking for comfort, advice or sympathy. I try to follow the spirit, but it can be tough. Sometimes I just want to shake them and say, "Copernicus called. As it happens you're not the center of the universe after all!" I guess its good practice for when I'm a parent and I have to suppress that knee jerk reaction ("You did WHAT!?!?") when I'm told something like that. For a lot of these girls, its not their fault that they are struggling because they have parents with the backbone of a paramecium!
Oh, I just finished a book that I have to give really high marks to. I'll bet many of you have read it before. It's called "The Peacegiver" and it totally changed the way I look at certain biblical stories and gospel principals. 2 thumbs way up! I tend to be skeptical when it comes to "church books" written by non-church leaders. Often times they just end up being sappy and not always entirely doctrinally sound. Usually after a few chapters I'm yearning for the worldly cynicism of Barney the Dinosaur. This book was nothing like that however. I learned a lot and would recommend it to anyone. A big thanks to George Peterson for the recommendation! Now I'm on to book 3 of the Twilight series....
Last night Layne had his first league softball game with his new team the Expos, and I watched some more Olympics. Did anyone else see the Brazilian Diego Hypolito's floor exercise the other day? He was his country's best hope of obtaining the first ever medal in gymnastics and he did a great job all up until he went down like a box of rocks during a difficult tumbling pass.
The look on his poor face was the same look I recall seeing on my little sister's face when a loving older brother told her that her cabbage patch "Willy Boy" had Leukemia. It nearly broke my heart. While the other gymnasts were busy marinating in their own testosterone, Diego broke down and cried. It was SOOOOO sad! I tip my hat to you Diego! There is no shame in the way you represented your country! Here's the video.
Monday, August 18, 2008
The Olympics, 'Sans Diego'
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
11:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I know! That look on Diego's face was HEARTBREAKING. And the camera just wouldn't let it go! C'mon, let the man weep in private. My heart hurts all over again seeing those pics. And he wasn't even Chinese so that the judges would overlook it...
Good luck with the freshly arrested YW. That is so tough. I'm so ok with just hearing stupid stories about "one time, um my sister and I made these silly signs and hung them in the car and asked other cars to honk at us but no one did" etc.
Glad you enjoyed your anniversary. fingers crossed you'll be able to unload your NC prop soon!
Sounds like you guys had a great 5th anniversary! But honestly, who tells other people that for their anniversary they are making babies?! People like that should be barred up & put away. That book "The Peacegiver" is incredible. I've read it 3 or 4 times since my parents divorce and it is awesome.
oh my goodness. I thought I was going to break down crying over that video. Poor Diego!
Kel, I am glad you liked the peacegiver. That is one of my favorite books. I have given about ten of them as gifts.
P.S. James Ferrell is Ashley's cousin. I met he and his wife at an event in Salt Lake a couple of years ago and they are amazing people. He has written a couple of others you might like as well i will find the titles and email then to you.
I know that broke my heart! Glad you guys had a great Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary. I love that you were able to use TMI in your blog.
You always have been able to crack me up. All your little stories are so funny. I love it! Random thought- but do you remember that joke you used to tell about the doctor and chicken breath? If you do, please video tape it and put it on your blog.
Post a Comment