Monday, August 11, 2008

Ode to the Olympics

Oh, how I love watching the Olympics! The Olympics have plenty of critics and plenty of people who don't care about them anymore, but I'm still a big fan! Anyone who watched the men's 400 relay yesterday knows why. How awesome was that!? Some other events I enjoyed over the weekend:

Women's indoor volleyball (those are some TALL ladies!)
Synchronized diving
Gymnastics (certainly one of the highlights for me) Anyone else think those Chinese women look like they're barely 8 years old?
Swimming (how cool is that venue "The Cube"!?)
Basketball

Even with a blessed DVR that allowed us to fast forward through commercials and meaningless Olympic chatter, we stayed up way too late last night watching and I'm now dead tired today. Oh well, the Olympics come but once every 4 years!

I only have a few beefs with it this year, one of which is that Bob Costas looks ridiculous with his dyed hair. It looks like he rubbed shoe polish all over his head!

From what I've seen though, it looks like the Chinese are doing a good job hosting! Its probably because of all those great rules they have in place for their citizens and visitors during the course of the Olympics. Some of them include:

No sleeping outdoors
No streaking
No setting off fireworks
No waving insulting banners
No one with STDs or mental illness is allowed "out" during the games
No restaurants are allowed to serve dog meat during the Olympic games

Seems like they got all the major bases covered! :)

3 comments:

CJB said...

I love those rules... I also heard they banned smelly cab drivers. What a rip though for the tourists who wanted to sample dog while in China.

RACHEL said...

oh my goodness, that is too funny!!! i was watching the gymnastics with wayne and i totally said the same thing about the chinese girls, although i did say 10 so i gave them the benefit of two years, but still, i was like woah!! good to see another olympics fan!

Arian said...

HA! I love it. I could not agree more about Bob's hair. The first time I saw it I thought it was a bad rug. They definitely could have worked on that a bit. And, yes, the Chinese gymnasts look to be approaching their 7th and perhaps 8th birthdays in the next year or two.