Friday, March 21, 2008

Red Roux & A Book Review

Yesterday my co-worker had to take her dog to the vet first thing in the morning. She picked him up about mid day and he spent the rest of the day in the office with us. His name is Roux and he's a big red standard poodle that looks a lot like this one. Very sweet and friendly, Roux spent a great deal of the day with his head on my lap, nudging me ever so often to scratch his head or rub his neck. A lot of people were drawn into the office because they wanted to see and pet the dog. As I've mentioned before, there is quite an International variety of individuals around our office, and one guy who was particularly interested in Roux (pronounced Rue) happened to be Chinese. He came in, pet the dog, and asked what his name was. My co-worked told him it was Roux, to which he replied, "Loo?". "No, Roux" she said putting more emphasis on the 'R'. He looked back at the dog and said, "Oooooh Loo! Hi Loo! Good boy Loo!" She and I caught each others glances and immediately had to look away. As soon as he had left the office, she turned quietly to me and sang, "Deck the harrs with berrs of horry, fa ra ra ra raaaaa, ra ra ra raaaaa." I thought I was going to die laughing. If you've never seen A Christmas Story that won't make much sense, so I'd suggest you go rent it.

On Wed. I finished a book that I bought for Kim and I to read together during the long drive to and from AZ for my grandma's funeral. I've been getting a little tired of John Grisham lately so I decided to go a different route for this trip. As Angels and Demons is probably one of my favorite books of all time and The Da Vinci Code was also a great read, I thought I should give some of Dan Brown's other work a try. I'm happy to report that he didn't disappoint! While its impossible for him to top Angels and Demons, this fast paced political/science fiction thriller was a fun read complete with the cliff hangers and twists that Dan Brown is so good at. So if you're looking for a fun read, and have enjoyed Dan's other books, I highly recommend Deception Point.


3 comments:

CJB said...

that is hysterical. "Loo?" priceless. And I too have read Deception Point and it was pretty darn good. have a happy easter!

Arian said...

I haven't read Deception Point but I agree that Angels and Demons was the best of his books thus far. Great taste!

laurice. said...

I have never been a reader until the last 3 months and I have been reading up a storm so thanks for the book suggestion.