We had a lovely Easter weekend that just went by too fast! Friday night we drove down to Provo for my great uncle Fred Lisonbee's 90th birthday bash. They really went all out! He served his mission in Samoa so they had fire dancers (who nearly burned the church down) and all sorts of cool stuff. If I look as good as he does at 90 I'll be a happy camper.
Saturday afternoon Layne and I decided to get one last trip to Brighton in before all the snow melts. It was sunny and gorgeous and we had a blast! There certainly was no powder, but that meant it was perfect conditions for speed skiing. During our last hour on the hill we decided to time ourselves and see just how fast we could finish the run if we just bombed the whole way down.
We rode the lift to the top of the mountain and using our mp3 player, Layne timed us 3 times. Since it was our last trip of the season, I decided not to hold back and went totally Picaboo Street, crouching, tucking my poles behind my back and pointing straight down. I made it from the top of the mountain to the bottom (from nearly11,000 ft. of elevation to 8,500ft.) in 2 minutes 30 seconds! If there had been no other people on the hill, I'm certain I could've done it in 2 minutes flat. Layne could never quite catch me, though he did get hosed up by people cutting in front of him a few times. It was the fastest I've ever skied and a lot of fun. It's nice to let the dare devil out once in a while.
Easter Sunday is one of those holidays when you really miss your family if you don't live at home. When we lived in North Carolina, Layne and I were adopted by the Holloman family for such holidays, so we never felt like we were missing out on anything. This year however, it was just Layne and Kim and I, but we tried to make the most of it. While there were no colorful eggs involved, I did put together a mean spread for dinner. Layne had gotten a gift certificate for a free 7lb Honeybaked Ham and Kim was a sport and stood in line for us for a half hour to get it on Saturday while we were skiing. By the time she made it to the front of the line, all they had left were 9.5lb hams (half a pig) so she paid the extra $15 and brought it home. She lovingly named him Bart, which I thought was perfect.
On a side note, if you're the Honeybaked Ham Co., and only do big business maybe 3 times a year, and all you sell is ham, wouldn't you try really hard NOT run out by mid afternoon!? I mean come on, you KNOW that people want ham for Easter, so wouldn't you have like 4 refrigerated trucks filled with ham sitting outside the store the Saturday before? One would think thats a pretty simple business model right? Well, one would be wrong! There was a line out the door and around the corner ALL day (you'd think it was splash mountain or something), and of course they ran out of ham and people got REALLY angry. Fortunately we were not among those people thanks to my patient sister. In addition to Bart's presence at our table, we had pasta salad, funeral potatoes (we're in Utah now, what did you expect?), warm rolls, jello salad, sparkling cider and my favorite of my mom's desert recipes, cherry cheesecake. Yes, I was a busy cook on Sunday. And thanks to Bart (who was DELICIOUS by the way), we'll be eating leftovers for another week! All in all, it was a great weekend.
Oh and I had to post this picture my dad sent me of my little bro back at home being a good sport and hiding eggs for the kids. Way to go Dane!
Monday, March 24, 2008
Playing Picaboo & The Ham Line
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
10:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Way to go making the Easter dinner! I don't know if I would be able to pull that off by myself. I am lucky enough to live my almost all of Derricks family so every Sunday we all have our dinner assignments and eat together....it's a lot like Thanksgiving every Sunday and I actually would like to have a Sunday dinner by ourselves!
Remember when I thought
layne worked for Honeybaked Ham, instead of Honeywell? Then you probably could have gotten Bart for free...darn that Honeywell!
woah!!! speedy skiier, you have NO FEAR!!! And sounds like a mean meal you made! Good job! Cute pic of Dane, how old is he?!?!
Maybe Honeybaked Ham's supply chain managers thought Utah had an incredibly large Jewish population.
Poor Bart.
I am proud to know that at least there is one AZ girl out there who isn't afraid to ski. (I am terrified of it!)
okay seriously love your new layout! SO FUN!
i would have loved to come over for easter dinner. you seriously go all out. love it!
and i'm impressed by your skiing! that is serious talent. i can't even bare being on the mountain without freezing my toosh off!
the top of your blog looks awesome! u r amazing!
Post a Comment