That certainly ain't popcorn! It's snow...again... I seriously can't believe that Jack Frost is paying the Salt Lake valley yet ANOTHER visit today. The first snow like this happened in September and here we are about 7 months later still getting it! Talk about a guest that has worn out his welcome!
This has turned out to be a week of all sorts of fun, starting with my car breaking down on Monday. I left work around 5:00 on Monday and got about a quarter mile down the road when suddenly my steering wheel completely locked up. I pulled over and assumed the "help me I know nothing about cars" position: turn hazard lights on, prop the hood open and bend over the engine looking completely dumbfounded. I called my mechanic and he told me it sounded like a fan belt problem. Sure enough, I managed to locate the shredded fan belt, and had to call a tow truck. Meanwhile dozens of cars (including co-workers) passed by without stopping which always feels nice. Finally one very nice young guy stopped and asked if I needed help. It was a sobering experience to realize that only 1 out of 5o people stopped to see if I needed help. Do I look scary or something? Perhaps the color of my car hurts peoples eyes. Perhaps I need to work on my helpless look. Anyway, over $300 later, my car is now fixed in spite of the tow truck driver who had the intellectual equivalence of a box of rocks and whose prior residence was most likely the corn field on the set of Hee Haw. I suppose I should look on the bright side of things. At least my car didn't break down today in the snow. At least my car broke down in a very convenient spot and not on the freeway in rush hour traffic. At least it wasn't my transmission or my engine that went out. It's always a helpful exercise to look for those little blessings in disguise. Why do blessings have to wear disguises anyway? If I were a blessing, I think I'd run around naked. Alas...I digress.
For mutual last night I took my hives to a shelter for battered women and children in downtown SLC with a bunch of donated items the ward had gathered. They learned what the term "domestic violence" means. Being there sure made me grateful for my wonderful husband and my loving father.
Speaking of my loving father, he sent me these thought provoking questions by comedian/actor George Carlin that gave me pause to ponder on some other important things. They really made me take a long hard look at my stance on certain issues facing our society today.
*Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant a lot like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?
*If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...does that mean that one enjoys it?
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What's a whack?
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
*Why do croutons come in airtight packages? It's just stale bread to begin with.
*Why is the man (or woman) who invests all your money called a broker?
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?
*If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted?
*If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?
*I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?
*Why do they put pictures of criminals up in the Post Office? What are we supposed to do, write to them? Why don't they just put their pictures on the postage stamps so the mailmen could look for them while they deliver the mail?
*If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
*Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
I looked out the window and what did I see...
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
10:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for the laugh! As for the snow I hear ya! We are having the weirdest weather....it gets a little warm so we pull out the shorts and bam...last night it was 6 degrees! When will it go away???
While you're in the middle of a snow storm, Im busy fighting my accountant husband about my desire to turn on the AC, and his flat refusal based on the fact that it is still March! (March is still hot when your thermometer reads 85 inside!!!)
by thermometer, I meant thermostat!
I haven't read your post yet, just saw the pic and am amazed at what different worlds we live in... refer to my blog =) CRAZY that you have snow when it is feeling so hot today!
Thanks for those lines, sure made me smile. I love the new look too.
Post a Comment