Monday, March 17, 2008

Kiss Me, I'm Irish!

Happy St. Patricks Day! I can't believe I forgot to wear my kiss me, I'm Irish pin today! St. Patty's day is a special opportunity for me to honor my Irish heritage. With a name like Kelly Flaherty, it's not hard for one to guess my ancestry. So here are some interesting facts about the O'Flaherty's. The Flaherty family motto is "Fortunas Favet Fortibus" which roughly translates to "Fortune Favors Those with Fortitude" (Inner Strength). Our family crest or coat of arms features the heraldic symbols of the lion, the red hand and the boat. The lion is supposed to represent fierce courage. The red open hand is called the mark of the Baronet. There seems to be some variety of opinions on meaning, but I heard a really cool story about it so I'll go with that. It claims that at some point in O'Flaherty history, there was a boat race to claim land. The chieftan who touched the shore first would claim the area for his clan. When it looked like he might lose the race, the cheiftan of the O'Flaherty clan cut off his hand and threw it to the shore, ahead of his opponents, claiming the land for the O'Flahertys.

The history of the name O'Flaherty comes from the name O'Flaithbertaig (10th century AD) meaning 'son of the bright ruler'. When converted from Gaelic to English it becomes O'Flaherty. When my ancestors traveled to America, the "O" was chopped off at Ellis Island in an effort to shorten names.
The O'Flaherty clan emerged from Viking wars and was henceforth characterized by courage and skill in battle. That is why around 1092 many Norman litanies included the line; "From the ferocious O'Flahertys, O Lord, deliver us." The phrase "Ferocious O'Flaherty's" stuck for centuries, but the clan is now known as an extremely hospitable and prosperous people. So, there you go! I'm proud of my maiden name and of my family however ferocious they were. :) I thought about getting Layne this shirt for the occasion. What do you think?

4 comments:

Nedra Tietjen said...

Eirinn go Bragh! And the O'Flaherty's go Bragh as well! Glad to have you on my side my fighting Irish friend.

Anonymous said...

Funny! I'm from the O'Ferrell line...a little Irish myself. And your story about where you name came from reminded me of a hilarious night with the YW and our new bishopric member trying to teach them his name. Really, I can see that typing it won't do it justice, I'll have to tell you in person sometime!

laurice. said...

Happy St. Patrick day! Love the shirt!

Katie Peterson said...

So did he really cut his hand off?? Ouch...I love all your St. Patty's day spirit...I think you should totally buy the shirt for Layne!