It was a great 4th of July that Layne and I spent in Boulder, UT with my family. I just got back last night, and while its nice to be back in my own bed, vacation always goes by too fast and its very difficult to get readjusted to life afterward. We had a great time though and have a lot of good pictures to post as soon as I get over the post vacation craziness at work. For the time being, I'm in the middle of a dilemma and could use some opinions.
I LOVE Trident sugar free gum. I like to chew gum at work because I find it helps me relax when I performing long tedious tasks with my hands. I go through at least a pack a week, and Layne has become somewhat of a chain chewer (though Stride is his weapon of choice). I rest easy knowing that Trident is sugar free, but I keep hearing bad things about the ingredient Aspartame found in almost all sugar free gums on the market. Many websites (like this one) claim that consuming Aspartame can cause any number of immediate or long term side effects. There are however, just as many websites (like this one) claiming that there is no risk whatsoever. I have looked and can't find a sugar free gum without Aspartame in it. I also LOVE Crystal Light packets that you add to water (also containing Aspartame pictured below -- I know, I'm a nerd).
I haven't noticed any decline in my health since I started "using", but the opponents claim that you can be suffering from the side effects for years without ever noticing. Does anyone know anything more about this than I? Do you know anyone who has ever had a problem related to the consumption of Aspartame? Does anyone know of a sugar free gum on the market that doesn't contain Aspartame? HELP! ...must...chew...something...
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Hello, my name is Kelly Nelson and I'm an addict...
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
1:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
hahaha... I have NO idea Kel, but I look forward to your vacation pix and good luck getting back in the swing!
Funny....I have no clue! But when you figure it out let me know.
If its not in the W.O.W. then go for it!
My mom and dad are health nuts. They stopped "using" anything with aspartame long, long ago. They basically forbid all of us from using it - although I do admit to partaking of Extra's sugar free gum every now and then (ssshhhh, don't tell). I was an addict in college but have gone to a few SFGCA meetings (sugar free gum chewers annonymous) and have been able to ween myself a bit. Health food stores have gum that doesn't have aspartame in it and doesn't have junk that will rot your teeth. Good luck with your addiction. :)
Kelly, life is way too short to get caught up in the hype of aspertame it's just like global warming you would be safe to blame it all on George W. Bush. I say chew on!
YIKES! I also love trident sugarless and the chrystal light packs... but..you need to try the wylers light packs and hawaiian punch packs from walgreens...10 for a dollar! And I like them every bit as much! Dave's fav. is Hawaiian punch, mine is the Lemon Berry blast!
wow that picture reminds me of chemistry class, that was pretty funny!!!
Hey sis, when you kids were little I used to make Crystal Light every night for dinner...until I started reading about the side affects. I had begun to have more frequent headaches and realized I was getting one every time I drank it. So I stopped buying it from then on and I thought I had taught you kids about it yrs. ago. Guess it didn't sink in.:) But Xylitol and Sorbitol are great sweeteners, because they are from a natural source. I didn't even read beyond those two ingre. to realize my Trident had Aspartame! Dang it! Let's try the health food stores, looking for something with those sweetners. Let me know what you find. Love, M
When in doubt, stick with natural products.
I don't know of any sugarless gum without aspartame, but i'd think the amount can't be that significant in a stick of gum even if you chew it all the time.
Crystal light I dunno, I try to avoid anything drink/food with aspartame, sucralose, or splenda (yuck!) in it, I'm not a fan of artificial anything, I do my best to stick to the most natural I can it, I just think it can't be good for you.
Good luck on your journey, if you do find any aspartame free gum, let me know!! As I am an avid chewer as well.
Kel, I don't drink anything with artificial sweetners and have heard they are bad but i am a chain chewer so if you find out more about this let me know. I wonder if the gum has enough in it to make a significant difference. I think I will hit the health food stores. I don't like to put chemical anything in my bod.
Kelly it's been a long time since I was able to read your blog and it was fun catching up with your 'happenings'. I have a link to a wonderful/inspiring blogsite...and she has an article about aspartame that will scare you and says she chews 'glee gum' which has to be special ordered. Check it out.. http://enlightenedhomemaker.blogspot.com/
Maybe you know her.. she's from here. Take care, Deena
Post a Comment