Monday, July 21, 2008

Commercial Parodies & a YouTube Discovery

Layne and I had a really nice weekend and Layne enjoyed his birthday on Friday. We went and saw the new Batman movie. Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was both amazing and disturbing. If you're going to see it, you're in for an Oscar performance, but prepare yourself to be a little creeped out and to remain seated for a solid 2.5 hours.
So I finally read the Twilight series (books 1 & 2 so far) at the urgent request of one of my young women. She gave me the books and texted me every day until I convinced her that I was reading them. I was a little let down after all the hype, but overall enjoyed reading them. They're no Harry Potter, but fun and interesting reads. So at the theater this weekend I saw previews to the movie 'Twilight' and was thoroughly disappointed by the actor they chose to portray Edward. This guy who is supposed to be the epitome of strength and masculine beauty looked a little scrawny and feminine to me. Does anyone else who has read the books share my sentiment?

In addition to the movies, we went to Best Buy to use the gift card Layne's parents sent him which is always fun. We stay as far away from that store as possible unless we have a gift card or extra money to blow, and lets face it, it's been a LONG time since we've had any of that! Among the items we picked out was the DVD of the best of SNL commercial parodies. We had a good time watching and remembering some of our favorites (such as: Mom Jeans, Dissing Your Dog, The Love Toilet, Buh-Weet Sings, Happy Fun Ball, Bad Idea Jeans, Colon Blow Bran Flakes, Taco Town, Old Glory Insurance, Litter Critters, Dog Laywer, Swiffer Sleepers, Woomba, Homocil, Eterna-Rest and Oops, I Crapped My Pants). There were some that I was disappointed didn't make the cut such as Chess for Girls & Cookie Dough Sport. Since we had so much fun watching them, I thought I'd share a few.

Swiffer Sleepers


Homocil

Old Glory Insurance

Cookie Dough Sport


Chess for Girls


Oops, I Crapped My Pants

Ah, classic! There are plenty more where those came from! Now for some other videos. Its amazing what one can stumble across when they're on YouTube. Someone posted these videos of the ECU Chamber Singers' first performance at the National ACDA Convention in Miami in March of '07. Oh the memories. I'm posting these mostly for my mom who never got to see my choir perform and would have loved to have been there. I wouldn't post these for general audience viewing. In fact I'm actually quite embarrassed by them. I look awful!! We had to be up at 5am the morning of this performance (which was at 8am). The night before, half the choir ate bad seafood and my room mate among others was up all night with the worst vomiting and diarrhea I've ever witnessed. Of course, in the middle of the night when our toilet clogged, I was the one who had to clean up after her and get maintenance to come fix it. Anyway, it was a miracle we were able to take the stage at all missing as many people as we were. The sound quality of these videos is pretty bad, and we didn't know we were being video taped, so bare with it. The other 2 songs of the performance haven't been posted yet.

Wondrous Love

Der Geist Hilft Unser Schwahheit Auf - Bach motet for double chorus that took FOREVER to learn and even longer to memorize!

El Hambo - This piece is written in Swedish gibberish (think the chef from the muppets) and drove us all nuts.

Daniel, Servant of the Lord- Good ole spiritual that brought the house down everytime.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY feel the same way about the actor playing Edward! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He looks like a feminine creepy mess. YUCK!

The Stimpsons said...

I agree about Twilight...BUT, watch the trailer and he seems a bit better. Bella seems right on. The trailer helps a bit.

Unknown said...

okay so i totally agree about edward, i was disappointed too. however, i was not disappointed in the books, i really like them, i am about halfway through number 2 and i have a hard time putting them down, and really only do to keep from neglecting my kids!!

laurice. said...

Couldn't agree more about the actor for Edward! That was a huge disappointment!

CJB said...

I have that SNL DVD and it is always good for a howl. The robot insurance is just genius. Glad you had a fun weekend. Good luck at camp!