Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sleep on it

I want to congratulate my amazing husband on the job offer that he received this week and accepted today! We've kept it pretty quite that he was on the hunt because nothing was decided and he didn't want to jeopardize his current job, but today he made it official and will be starting his new job around the 9th of June. Layne will be a material planner for Select Comfort (makers of the sleep number bed) at their Salt Lake facility which serves the all of the Western U.S. There were numerous candidates for this job, which were whittled down to 5 by round 3 of interviews, but it came as no surprise to me that Layne was the best! I have to say this because Layne is too humble to be caught ascending mount ego with flag in hand. After getting the offer, he decided to sleep on it for a few nights (no pun intended of course) and today he decided to accept. It's a great offer and definitely an upgrade for him and us in many ways. He's also excited that he can now get his MBA since it will be on the company's dime. Way to go babe! I'm so proud of all the hard work you have put in to be in a position to get such a great job! Best of luck in your new career, and thanks for being such a wonderful provider for us! Oh and did I mention that we will get a SERIOUS discount on a sleep number bed!? Woo hoo!

So Layne and I watched a little bit of that show So You Think You Can Dance last night and happened to see this guy. I guess what he does is called "popping". I've never seen anything quite like this before and I must admit I was impressed! My favorite is the part where he does orangutan walk thingy.



At the conclusion of this season for the Salt Lake Choral artists, I got a recording of our recent performance of Elijah. It's a long oratorio, but I took out some short clips (mostly a minute or less) from some of my favorite choruses to post for my own record and for those who requested it. I've also included the scriptural text from the program for reference. I cut out the solos (even though they were fabulous), and while it's not the perfect recording, it gives a pretty good representation. Of course, its ALWAYS better (and louder) in person! Just click on the word 'Chorus' if you want to hear any of the clips. If you're a connoisseur, you can tell just how influenced by Bach this work is with all it's counterpoint and fugue.

Elijah - Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, 1846
Salt Lake Choral Artists, Libby Gardner Concert Hall,
May 10, 2008


Chorus: The People (Exodus 20:5-6)

Yet doth the Lord see it not: He mocketh
at us; His curse hath fallen down upon us;
His wrath will pursue us, 'til He destroy us!


Chorus: Priests of Baal (1 Kings 18:26)

Baal, answer us: O hear us and answer us!
Turn, O Baal, behold our offering.
Hear us Baal; hear, mighty god!

Chorus: Elijah & Priests of Baal

Hear our cry, OBaal! Now arise!
Wherefore slumber?

Chorus: Priests of Baal (1 Kings 18:30)

Baal, give an answer! Mark how the scorner
derideth us! Give an answer!

Chorus: The People (1 Kings 18: 38-39)

The fire falls from heaven!
The flames consume the Lord's offering!
Bow down; upon your faces fall!
The Lord is God.

Chorus 1 : The People (Psalm 106:1)
Chorus 2: The People (Psalm 93:3-4)

Thanks be to God for all His mercies!
Thanks be to God, He reviveth the
thirsty land! The waters gather; they
rush along! They are lifting their voices.
The stormy billows are high; their fury
is mighty. But the Lord is above them,
and almighty!

Chorus: The People (Jeremiah 26:11)

Woe to him! Take and slay him. He called
down a famine upon us! And why doth he
mock us in the name of the Lord? Death unto
the guilty prophet! He hath spoken falsely
against our land, as we with our own ears have
heard. So go ye forth; seize on him! He shall die!

Chorus: Trio of Angels (Psalms 121:1-3)

Lift thine eyes to the mountains from whence
thy help cometh. Thy help cometh from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth. He hath said:
"Thy foot shall not be moved; thy Keeper will
never slumber."

Chorus: The People (Psalms 121:4, 138:7)

He, watching over Israel, slumbers not, nor sleeps.
Shouldst thou walking in grief, languish, He will
quicken thee.

Chorus: (1 Kings 19:11-12)

Behold, God the Lord passed by! And a mighty
wind rent the mountains around, brake in pieces
the rocks, brake them before the Lord. But yet
the Lord was not in the tempest. Behold, God the
Lord passed by! And the ocean trembled, and the
earth was shaken. But yet the Lord was not in
the earthquake. And after the earthquake there
came a fire. But yet the Lord was not in the fire.
And after the fire their came a still
small voice. And in that still voice, onward
came the Lord.


Chorus: Angels (Isaiah 6:3)

Holy, holy, holy is God the Lord, the Lord God
of Sabaoth! Earth is full of the glory of the Lord!


Chorus: (Ecclesiasticus 48:1, 6-7)

Thus did Elijah the prophet break forth like a fire,
his words like brimstone and blazing torches.
Mighty kings by him were overthrown. He stood on
the mount at Sinai, and heard the Lord's denunciation,
and on Horeb, His vengeance.
(2 Kings 2:1,11)
And when the Lord would take him away to heaven, lo!
Their came a firey chariot with firey horses, and he
went by a whirlwind to heaven.

Chorus: (Isaiah 11:2, 41:25; 42:1)

For the Lord God hath raised up one to Him, who
shall call upon His name from the rising up of
the sun, and prophesy, and tread upon princes.
Behold His servant, whom He upholds, and His elect,
in whom His soul delights! The spirit of God shall
rest upon him.

Chorus: (Psalms 8:1)

Lord, our Creator, how excellent Thy name is in
all the nations! Thou fillest heaven with Thy glory!
Amen!

6 comments:

laurice. said...

Way to go Layne! I love those beds and am so jealous of your discount!

Megan said...

Way to go Layne! I am not at all surprised. Sonny still raves about how well he did in his calling here. (He all but cries himself to sleep wishing he could come back!) He's going to go far, that husband of yours.

I saw about 10 minutes of that dancing show too and it just so happened to be during this clip you posted. I just stared at the TV with my mouth hanging open like an idiot. Crazy! You'll have to memorize that and bust it out during your next concert.

The Stanford Bunch said...

Yeah for Layne's new job!!! Enjoy your new bed, SWEET!!!

CJB said...

Wow! Obese contratulations to Dylan for scoring such a sweet job second only to the Peach Pit. Way to beat out the competition. Maybe they heard your & Kel's reputation with a mattress? :) ...couldn't resist. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Naughty Christi!!! (I mean funny, AND naughty!) Way to go Layne! I can't beat out Christi's humor so I will go with the straight forward congratulations! And that clip of dancing, HOLY CRAP! I guess I better start watching, when is it on?

Stephen + Lauren Reber said...

Congrats to Layne! That rocks--does the discount apply to high-school friends (he he :) )