Monday, May 5, 2008

Bonus Day

Layne made an executive decision early last week that we were both going to take Friday off work for our own sanity. We've both been toughing it out at work for a long time without a real break or vacation and have been getting really burned out. Layne finally admitted that he was beginning to feel more machine than man and didn't like it. It actually worked out quite well for me because it was graduation weekend at the U. So we did it! And we liked it! Layne wanted to get all our "chores" done on Friday so we could actually enjoy Saturday instead of using it as a P-day as per usual. Once Saturday came around, I woke up and Layne jumped on the bed and said, "It's Bonus Day! Aren't you excited!?" Indeed I was. Actually, I had woken up early stressing out over some stuff I needed to get done before YW Presidency meeting (thinking it was Sunday), but once I checked the calendar and made sure it was only Saturday I went back to sleep. So when I woke up the second time I was excited about Bonus Day. Layne got to go to the skate park which is a rare treat for him these days, we went to the gym together (also a rare treat), and got cleaned up for a nice trip to Fashion Place mall for some clothes shopping (even more rare). After getting some Chick-Fil-A (or Chick-FEE-lah as my dear mother in law pronounces it) we wandered into the Select Comfort store to play on the sleep number beds. We wanted to find out what our sleep numbers were.
It's official, I'm a 35 and Layne's a 50. He likes it a little firmer than I. I'd heard all the commercials, but those beds are the BOMB! SO much more comfortable than any other bed I've been on. They have an AWESOME feature that I fell in love with instantly. Does anyone else sleep hot or cold? Layne and I both sleep hot. We have to have fans and air on to sleep and even then tend to sweat in bed. Well they have a patent on this material that absorbs your body heat and stores it away but still feels cool to your skin. AMAZING! It works for people who sleep cold too. ANYWAY, after that we hit Dillards where they were having a big sale and got Layne some new church slacks, and to Anne Taylor for a new skirt for me. YAY! After that we went to see a matinée showing of Baby Mama starring Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Steve Martin, Greg Kinnear, Sigourney Weaver, Will Forte, Fred Armisen and others. Admittedly my hopes for this movie weren't extremely high. I thought all the funny parts might be in the previews, but surprisingly I think the funniest parts involved Steve Martin who I didn't even know was IN the movie until it started. No academy award winner, but very entertaining if you're in the mood for a summer comedy, and you like Fey & Poehler. Here's the trailer.

After the movie we went out for Pier 49 Pizza (Mmmmm) and had a relaxing bonus evening which included a sunset walk by the Jordan River. Yay for Bonus Day! We got a lot done and Layne feels like a "real boy" again.
That being said, it's pretty difficult to come back to work after such a nice long weekend, but alas, its working hard that makes the occasional Bonus Day a bonus!

7 comments:

The Stanford Bunch said...

How fun Kelly! Make sure you have lots of bonus days because someday you'll have to get a babysitter all day long to have a REAL bonus day! :):):)

Nedra Tietjen said...

Wow! I love bonus days too! I felt like I had a binus weekend. I am glad you too got to enjoy a nice relaxing day and a chance to de-stress!

Anonymous said...

LUCKY!!! (imagine Napoleon Voice here) I definately jealous...but don't you find that bonus days, just make you want more bonus days???

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Yes. Very much yes.

laurice. said...

I want that bed! Derrick sleeps very cold and I sleep very warm....it's a joke! He says I'm his built in heater! I hate that I am always hot!

Anonymous said...

you make an excellent point... "naked baby internet pictures" can only lead to trouble... but lets be honest, trouble has always been just around the corner for any child of mine...Dave's good influence can only last so long!

CJB said...

Glad you had a nice bonus day! Sounds like you packed a lot in. I think you should write to Dubya and propose national bonus day.