Thursday, May 15, 2008

Check 'em Out

Last night, my brave aunt Anne McDowell finally lost her long and well fought battle against breast cancer. She was so young, it's just so sad, but it makes me happy to know that she's no longer confined to a broken body. My heart goes out to her husband, her 5 sons, her grandchildren, her mother and her siblings who are left behind. She was always a wonderful example of optimism and finding the joy in life. She was always tough and a gamer (you'd have to be as the mother of 5 boys) and a model of faith and steadfastness. I never heard her complain about her health (or anything else for that matter) and she has always been a wonderful friend and support to me. This picture was taken a week ago as she attended her youngest son's high school volleyball state tournament. A wonderful mother all the way to the end! Kim and I will be boarding a plane this evening to attend the viewing tomorrow and the funeral on Saturday, and will stay in AZ until Tuesday evening. Please lend your prayers to the McDowell and Bob & Lee Flaherty family.

That being said, I need to do a better job of getting myself checked on a regular basis and I would encourage all my friends and family to do the same, even if you don't have a family history of cancer. Perhaps its because I work right next to the Huntsman Cancer Institute that I am constantly reminded, or because its in my family. It's never too early to get checked, but it is possible to be too late. Numerous studies have shown that if breast cancer is detected early and has not spread to other organs, the survival rate is 94%. If it has only spread to nearby organs, the survival rate is 73%. Once cancer has spread beyond nearby organs, the survival rate is 18% As early cancer usually goes undetected, the best way to catch it is to have a professional screening at least every 3 years under the age of 40, (annually after 40) and perform self exams monthly. Ok, there is my plug. I know it's unpleasant to do, but I've never met a woman who regretting getting checked!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am so sorry to hear about your aunt, that is Jim's mom right? From all I have heard, it was a well lived life and well fought battle. We can only hope to have the same said about us someday.

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Well said Ashley. And yes, it was Jim's mom.

The Stanford Bunch said...

Wow! Usually I hear things in your family from my mom first. I wonder if she knows yet... If only someone would find a cure! I know I am at risk and because I am, I am supposed to start getting exams at age 30 instead of 40, just around the corner! I'm really sorry to hear about the loss in your family, I'm glad you and Kim are able to go to the funeral.

laurice. said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for encouraging everyone to get checked. I was 17 when they found a tumor in my breast that had to be removed and we have no family history of it...you just never know! Luckily for me the test results came back negative but I am high risk and am always encouraging everyone to get their yearly check ups! I cant stress enough the importance!

Bert and Benton said...

Anne was so wonderful! I Loved her so much! I went and saw her on Monday and it was really hard to see her like that, not at all her fun spunky self. It is a blessing to know she is no longer confined to a broken body. She will be truly missed.

CJB said...

Kels, my sympathies. With that many boys she is a shoe-in for heaven! Enjoy your short trip home.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family. Sure does make one thankful for the gospel during times like this. Hope you can enjoy seeing family over the weekend.

Stephen & Lauren Reber said...

Oh, my thoughts are with you and your family. I'll be wearing pink tomorrow in your aunt's honor.

Rachael said...

It was good to see you down here Kelly. Like I said, what a brave woman. My heart goes out to you and all her family. I'm sure she is getting to meet all 5? grandbabies coming!

Zach and Jaeleen said...

Very Cute blog! I may get one up and going one of these days. I heard of Anne's passing this week. What a wonderful woman. So sweet and thoughtful. I can remember a certain time that she lent me a white dress for the Messiah that the Stake did. A white dress is not something that is easily borrowed to someone you hardly know! I could go on and on...
I will keep your family in my prayers.

char said...

Kelly, I don't know when I have laughed so hard and then cried so much reading a stupid blog. Girl, I can't say that you need to get a life but maybe you just need to do commercials and make millions on these products you push. I love seeing you kids blogs. Tonight I visited Heidi's, Brett's, Ben's, Coco's and even a Flaherty family in PA. Don't know them. It was an accident. Anyway, I'm missing Anne and it helped reading yours and Ben's and Heidi's blogs. All of you mentioned her and had pictures. Love you, Aunt Anne's favorite sister, Char