Yesterday was Layne's first big day at his new job as a materials planner for Select Comfort! Everyone knows what the first day at a new job is like. You get to bond with the HR person over W2's and benefits forms and get your security badges etc. Then she ships you off to the IT guy for a phone number and an email address. After that its off to the races starting with a tour of the facility (which you'll surely get lost in more than once), meeting all the people you're going to be working with (whose names you can't possible remember) and getting a crash course in systems and processes along the way (which take some people YEARS to master). Lets just say it, the first day at a new job (probably more like month depending on the field) is just plain exhausting! You have to concentrate a lot harder to remember and absorb things, and of course, you want to make a good first impression, so there is a lot more pressure to be your best self and be on your A-game. What Select Comfort doesn't yet realize (to steal a phrase from Layne's sports banter) is that they just acquired an MVP for a late round draft pick and a bag of balls. I'm proud of my mattress man! Good luck getting adjusted to your new job.
Things at my job have been utterly frantic lately. We've been under some heavy duty grant deadlines over the past few weeks. Several animals were slated for surgery last week, which meant we had to have arrays ready to implant. The tricky thing about surgery is that you can't just postpone it if something isn't ready. Animals are prepped for months in advance of their implantation date and a whole team has to be assembled on the day of the surgery to ensure that the implant goes as planned and that the chip is alive inside the animal and can both stimulate and record data as well as transmit and receive information from an outside source. Of course, having an array ready for all this isn't as easy as it sounds, especially since nearly my entire team decided to take their 2 week vacations at the same time, leaving me with only one other person who is about as flaky as a Greek pastry. I worked some long days trying to get all the work done practically by myself.
So this little guy has been the source of all my stress at work over the past several weeks. This is the back side of the most recent version of the wireless electrode array with a wire wound power coil and chip. I took this picture under the optical microscope to show in a meeting so it's a close up, but this little guy is only about 1 square mm. I know it looks like a hot mess, but this little guy is fully functional and to the right people is probably worth about half what I make in a year.
I feel like ranting a little today so please indulge me. Layne went with me to Wal Mart to do the grocery shopping yesterday evening. I love it when Layne comes with me because we are like a well oiled machine. We get through the shopping in no time at all...and then comes the check out line. It's always bad, but can be made MUCH MUCH worse depending on who is in front of you. I consider myself a pretty tolerant person, but yesterday, the lady in front of us had Layne and I so worked up that I could've kicked a kitten through an electric fan. I'm sure you've all been in line behind "her" before. She had 2 carts, each cart had a child in it and a few groceries. I picked that line because she only had 15 or so items in each cart. The little girl's name was Princess (if you think that is just a nickname, think again), and I could be wrong, but the boy's name was either "PUT THAT DOWN!" or "STOP IT!" She was the only person ahead of us in line, but as Layne and I would come to find out during the solid HALF AN HOUR it took her to check out (no exaggeration for dramatic emphasis) we had chosen our line poorly, though I'm pretty sure time is irrelevant once you've entered the 7th circle of hell.
Now, I have a lot of sympathy and patience when I see a mom with kids in a store struggling to keep it together. In fact, I often offer help to such. But sympathy only comes when I see a woman (or man) who is actually TRYING. This lady was making no attempt at all to control her children and even less of an effort to "hustle". Quite the contrary actually, the boy was opening bags of candy and throwing the contents on the floor (which she didn't notice or pick up) and she was taking her sweet time loading her items onto the scanner (which she waited to do until she got up to the front). Once all the items did make it onto the scanner, she made things even more fun by buying the items in chunks.
The first chunk was scanned, bagged, and paid for in cash, which of course she took her sweet time spreading on the counter and counting out. The next chunk was scanned, bagged and paid for with a check which of course she hadn't even begun to fill out, which needed to be accompanied by her ID which of course was lost somewhere in her handbag/diaperbag/trashcan/black hole. It wasn't until AFTER she had paid that she went back into the abyss for the 500 coupons she hunted down, retrieved and uncrumpled one-by-one from this same outter darkness of a purse. The third chunk was scanned, bagged and purchased using yet ANOTHER check!! HOLY CANNOLI LADY!!
(Side note: I'm not aware of any bank that now lets you open a checking account without giving you a free debit card. Why do people refuse to use debit cards? Can someone explain that to me?) Of course this whole process is slowed down each time she looks up from her check writing to yell something at Princess or the boy child. By now we have been waiting 20 minutes and there are 50 people in line behind us. Does this woman ever look back and apologize for taking so much time? Nope. Does she try to speed things up at all? Nope. In fact, even once she finally had her 3rd receipt in hand and her groceries in the cart(s) she decided that instead of moving out of the way for the next person, that she would stay right there while she put her "cash back" neatly in her wallet, re-organized the unused coupons, entered the details of her transactions into the ledger of her checkbook, and opened some of the bagged food for her and her kids to munch on. All of this was done with her burly bare leg up on the bag wheel so the check out lady couldn't scan our groceries and put them in the bags because she couldn't turn the wheel!!! I guess I just don't understand certain things. It doesn't take a college education to have a grasp of common courtesy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make it through a grocery store checkout in under 10 minutes. Or does it? I'm pretty sure if she could have taken her 2 IQ points and rubbed them together to get a little fire going, she would have managed to realize that other people were WAITING!! If had had my own kids with me, I think I would have given up and gone home. Am I being too harsh?
Monday, June 9, 2008
Mattress Man & Wal Mart Woes
Posted by
Layne and Kelly Nelson
at
3:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Holy smokin lady! No, you are not too harsh, you are very good at putting stories into words! I can't beleive this is a real story and not a made up cartoon, I can't STAND check writers, I stay away from lines with people who even look like they might be check writers! And I hardly EVER take my kids to the store!!! What a story, I'm glad you survived WalMart! And good luck to Layne and his new job! I'm also glad you were able to get that little thingy done at work. ;)
Seriously Kelly? HILARIOUS!!! First things first though...no matter what his job is...please don't ever refer to Layne as "Your mattress man" ever again...know what I mean?
And, I know your love for all things children or animal, so a woman with Children so bad you want to obliterate a kitten... it really must have been bad. I'm sure she was using state issed WIC checks, they have to be used separately for ONLY the things on the check, so someone would have to "check out" several times...SO SORRY!!! (But im sure having Layne there was some comfort...?)
Oops, I didn't even think about that Ashley. I was thinking of Heart's song "Magic Man". Point well taken! :)
Congratulations Layne!!! I know you will be a HUGE success! If they don't already know it they will soon find out they hit the jackpot when they hired you!
That is no purse; that sounds like Pandora's Box... Oh wait, ultimate good came from the end of Pandora's evil.
um yeah, totally with you. First of all, I have a child and as someone with a child, I would never do that to someone else for fear that someone else behind me might have a child that is DONE shopping. Second of all, I wouldn't do that to any person, with or without a child. Utah folk are too cheap...move back to AZ. If your kids are being nuts, don't use your coupons, count your losses (though they can be used next time) and take them home. Lastly, don't even get me started about the debit card thing. I was so glad when snowbird season ended down here because I knew I would no longer get stuck behind a geriatric friend who insisted they write a check. I can't believe the lady you were behind was young enough to have little kids and STILL wrote a check. Who would want to anyway...it sucks! Okay, I'm done...and your rant was totally valid. I'm sad you didn;t have a fan and kitty handy...that would've been funny...and I even like cats!
Oh and one more thing...your experience is why I will never shop at walmart...seems to happen all of the time there...try super target...if they have it :)
Way to go Layne! Your first-day recount made have that uneasy feeling all over again! "this too shall pass."
Sorry about the Walmart experience. I have been there and with my little to no patience, it could have exploded into something un-Christian like.
I thought of you on Sunday. They read a letter from the First Prez that using props in Sacrament Mtg or Stake Conf is not appropriate. I guess I won't be using my cell phone the next time I have to give a talk about the spirit!!
Congrats Layne! It’s hard the first while at a job...but it will get better fast! Sorry about Wal-Mart...I really hate that store!
Kelly, you are HILARIOUS! Shopping with children is not the easiest thing to do, but some people have to share their shopping experiece with everyone. Jonathan and I both were laughing. Thanks for sharing your Walmart story. Just be thankful that it was just you and Layne and that you did not any children with you. That half an hour wait could have been a whole lot worse.
No you're not being too harsh. I'm with you on that, I have sympathy for those that struggle while attempting to control their childen, everyone knows it's killer shopping with kids, but I don't and will never understand the people that think they themselves, their kids, and all the now aggravated people near them are invisible, I would've lost it!!
ROFL...your posts are truly enjoyable... Enough said! ~Deena
Though not favorable, sometimes you have to take all your kids to the grocery store. And 99% of the time you do they turn into little scary monsters/devils/animals/not so angelic brats. Sometimes you also HAVE to write checks. Like when one of your kids went through your purse and lost your debit card or something. It might look like it is easy to have it all together when you have kids, but it's not. Things spiral out of control all too quickly. I have been that lady before. Sometimes I feel like I need drugs after going to the grocery store with my kids. I have had to write a check, and yell at my kid who was half way across the store, and I've even given them some of the payed for food out of the cart to hush them up! AND I have felt those piercing eyes of the people behind me. I have felt so rattled at the grocery store because of the people glaring at me that I have wanted to kick them through an electric fan. There always is another line. People with fussy, energetic children have to grocery shop too. And they have to pay.
Congratulations on the new job! Sorry the other one didn't work out.
Unbelieveable! I nearly came unglued as I relived my Saturday Night Nightmare at the Nashville Walmart through your uproariously funny telling of your own Walmart debacle. --- It was 10:44pm, Saturday, June 7th, 2008. As a mere smattering of hurried shoppers finalized their purchases ahead of the unusual yet unforgiving pronouncement: "The time is now 11:00pm and your Nashville Walmart is closed...", I calmly made my way to the only open lane equiped to accomodate one with a cart so full as mine. It took only seconds to realize that the nightmare of soon to expire milk in the dairy case and a completely depleted stock of various essential items elsewhere was but a prelude to a much more sinister melody - soon to cresendo. I saw, as a I often had before, a bevy of unproductive cashiers gathered round a menial task best suited for one. All the while the only open line in front of me came to an abrupt stand still. A customer was disputing the price of his grapes. The call was made for help. The call was ignored. The call was once again made for help. The head cashier and his bevy spared a glance toward my lane. The call was made for help. No repsonse. The customer relented. The purchase was made - at the higher price. The next customer stepped forward. After a curt exchange of plesantries, the ringing-up began. At this point, the previously otherwise engaged head cashier came to inquire as to the need. Upon finding the need resolved, he questioned/distracted our cashier concerning trivial things for a few moments before moving on to his next non-pressing task. Finally it was my turn. I was prepare for any contengency - I had been here before. Any questions as to price had long since been settled by a visit to the in-aisle scanner. I had no coupons. I had my debit card in hand and PIN in head. As I left the store that night, tired, still in need of essentials, I vowed never to return. I'll be back this weekend.
- Sonny
Oh my goodness, I just hope that's not me in line.
Congrats on the new job!
Post a Comment