Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Letter


I'm finally ready to come out of the proverbial closet and admit something. I, Kelly Nelson, have auditioned for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Hardly the musical prodigy, I confess that it's a little embarrassing to reveal. Never-the-less, I find myself here in Salt Lake City, UT and it isn't ski season yet, so what else am I supposed to do? I began phase 1 of the process in August. I had to submit an extensive recorded vocal audition CD, 2 Bishops letters of recommendation, and full personal informational packet with photos etc. About a month after submitting my info, I received an e-mail from the choir office reporting that well over 200 had applied this year and most of them were women. We were told that directors Craig Jessop and Mack Wilberg were still in the process of reviewing the auditions. Well, last Thursday, I got my letter in the mail reporting that I have been selected to advance to Phase 2 along with 107 others of the original 240 who auditioned. This came as no small surprise to me! The letter also contained instructions on obtaining the text book and study materials necessary to take the required theory exams on October 9th in the tabernacle. I've heard they're very difficult, so I decided to get started right away. On Friday I went down to the tabernacle's secret door #25 and knocked 3 times as instructed. MoTab organist Richard Elliot opened up for me and took me to the secretary who was waiting for me with my copy of the text book. If I pass the exams with an 80% or better, my in person audition with Craig Jessop & Mack Wilberg will be held at the end of October. Who knows what will happen. I certainly don't have very high expectations given the stiff competition, but at least I'm being open about it. That, in and of itself, is a feat for me! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Arian said...

Go Kelly! I am so impressed that you are in the final 107 for MoTab tryouts. Very cool. Good to read up on what is going on with you. It's been way too long! Tell Dylan hi for us.

Jason and Kate said...

Kel Bell...Congrats!! I'm excited that you have a blog. You finally found your way to Zion. :) It's been way too long. Maybe when I'm up there we will have to get together.

The Stanford Bunch said...

Yeeaaahhh Kelly! Good luck with the rest! =)