Thursday, October 30, 2008

Something Scary for Halloween

I am WAAAAAAAAY behind on the blog but there is a good reason why. Its in large part because of what happened Tuesday morning which is all I will blog about for now. Layne leaves for work at 6:30am. Tuesday morning was no different. I usually leave an hour or so later. Tuesday morning was no different. When I came downstairs to leave for work, I stepped off the bottom stair into 3 inches of standing water on our month old new wood floor. I opened the door to the half bath to the sound of shooting water and opened the cabinet beneath the sink and to my horror, hot water was shooting out of the pipe. I tried to turn the knob by hand but it wouldn't budge. I ran to my neighbor's house for help and he told me I'd have to use a wrench. So I found one amongst our tools and managed to crank the valve shut. When I waded around the house to asses the damage, this is what I saw. Standing water had filled the entire main floor and was spilling out the front and garage doors. I took some pictures and video so some of the days events and decided to put them all together to give you an idea of what we've been through since Tuesday. And no thats not a high glossy finish on our floor, thats water! I even took these after we had mopped a good portion of it up and moved a bunch of stuff!




And this is the state we've been living in since Tuesday. The "drying" phase. Those noisy dehumidifiers have been running nonstop and we've been living in this mess with nails and wood splinters all over the main floor. The guys come back today to run some moisture tests to see if more gutting will be required. Stay tuned. And for those of you wondering, didn't this just happen to them a month ago? The answer is yes. And we're still paying for it. Totally unrelated problem, similar result. Thank GOODNESS for State Farm!! They have been FANTASTIC and are going to pay for most of this. ...most, but not all...

Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

laurice. said...

Yikes....I am so sorry. Didn't you just get done fixing water damage!

Bert and Benton said...

oh my goodness! Kelly you guys have the worst luck with this!! I am SOO sorry, but happy to hear insurance will cover most of it. SO sorry!

RACHEL said...

wow that really stinks, sorry you have had such a crazy week, good thing you have insurance, definitely comes in handy for freak accidents

Samantha said...

Poor Kelly. I am so sorry about your house. Thank goodness for insurance even if they don't pay for all of it.

Arian said...

Wow, Kelly, I am so feeling for you right now. Talk about a bummer of a month (or two). You seriously deserve a nice long vacation paid for by Statefarm as well. Can't Christi work something out for you?? :)

KRISTIN BELL said...

yowser....that is the saddest Halloween story I've heard....that really stinks. Come Stay with me!!!! Seriously offer stands. Love ya!

The Stanford Bunch said...

TAG - you're it!!

The Stanford Bunch said...

holy smack, kel! I am sooo sorry! How are things going now? I hope it gets all back to normal soon!!! love ya!